On Sat, 9 Dec 1995, Patricia Premo wrote:

> Has anyone else had a problem losing service to LM_NET for no apparent
> reason.  There must be some reason; it's just not apparent to me.  I
> received messages early Tuesday morning and the last one came through
> about noon.  Then nothing.  I had my provider check to see if there was
> a problem on his end or on the listserv's end and there was none.  Oh
> well, I resubscribed today and hope I'm back on board.  :*)
> patpremo@bbs.tcbi.com

  She may have been one of the several each day that, for some unknown
reason, had mail returned to the listserv computer as undeliverable. In
which case she was automatically dropped. The following message is what I
send to people who write to ask me what happened.
------
  I am sorry that you were dropped from LM_NET.  Our listserv computer
sends to all of those who were dropped a somewhat general explanatory
message, which is often *not* received by the member being dropped-- for
one or more of the very same reasons that they may have been dropped in
the first place:

1. Their mailbox was allowed to become too full of messages, and their
   network rejected mail, bouncing all LM_NET postings back to me.

2. Their network was down or not accessible to the rest of the Internet,
   thus rejected mail, bouncing all LM_NET postings back to me.

3. They lost their account or their e-mail address was changed by their
   network, thus rejected mail, bouncing all LM_NET postings back to me.

   As you might imagine, since over 50 messages are posted each day to
LM_NET, if only a few people have problems such as I described above, that
means hundreds of error messages go to my mailbox that I need screen and
deal with.  If you are sure that the problem at your end has been
corrected, please feel free to re-subscribe.  It will be nice to have you
back with us!

  It is easy to re-subscribe to LM_NET.  If you follow the instructions
below, you should not have any trouble joining.  (Tip: be sure to type the
address _exactly_ as shown.)  Please let me know if you need any more
assistance.

  To re-subscribe to LM_NET, just do this:

1.  Send an e-mail message to:  listserv@listserv.syr.edu

2.  In the first line of the message, type:

    SUBSCRIBE LM_NET Firstname Lastname

    (Of course, you would substitute your actual name for Firstname
     Lastname in the line, such as
       "SUBSCRIBE LM_NET Joan Doe"    (No quotes necessary.)

   The way LM_NET is handling requests for membership is now being handled
   automatically by the Syracuse University listserv computer and software.
   The LM_NET listserv computer will respond with an informative message,
   which will ask you for a confirmation.  You will then be added if you
   properly follow the directions (which are pretty easy.)

Best wishes,

 Peter Milbury, Librarian                           pmilbury@ericir.syr.edu

      <A HREF="http://wombat.cusd.chico.k12.ca.us/~pmilbury/lib.html">
       Peter Milbury's School Library & School Librarian Web Pages</A>
Chico High School, Chico, California 95926               Voice: 916-891-3036
   Co-owner of LM_NET:  "gopher://ericir.syr.edu:70/11/Listservs/LM_NET"
     Serving 5,000+ In the School Library Media Community, Worldwide

LM_NET Archive Home