-----------
From: Carole Carpenter <chcrpntr@UDel.Edu>

Jan:  We began last year with one workstations limited to teachers.  This
September we went to four student workstations with Internet access. Only
students who sign our Internet contract (and their parents sign, too) are given
privileges.  They need a hallpasses from  teachers to be in the library and
the computers can not be reserved for any classes, but otherwise they are
free to logon whenever they can.  We are just working our way through
some small problems.  Today we told them that the district has decided
that chat lines are no long allowed.  Not a single kid complained because
they knew that what they were doing was not appropriate.  The state did
not pay for this equipment so that they could discuss boyfriends, etc.
I just wrote a two page paper called "A Bucket of Cold Water" which
explained some cautions to the faculty.  If you would like a copy, let me
know.  One major point you will need to explain is that teachers
absolutely can not require Internet use as part of an assignment.  There
are many parents who will not want their children exposed to the filth
which can be accessed, so requiring Internet use would be unfair, not to
say unwise.
We are running Netscape and Chameleon.  We do not have e-mail and have no
plans to offer it to students, although teachers will get it.

-----------------
From: PAULKM@TEN-NASH.TEN.K12.TN.US

Dear Jan,
We just got our Internet connection this fall.  We have our students log on
at the circulation desk and leave their student ID on a first come-first
serve basis.  In our AUP we state that academic usage of computers always
supercedes recreational.  A large screen TV is hooked up to the computer so
that  the student can be monitored at a distance.  So far we have had only
one student dare to go to a chat room and "chat" inappropriately.
Recently,  we hooked up a scanner to this same computer. We have noticed
some students scanning their drivers' licenses and playing around with the
dates.  We have not addressed this yet. Our basic problem is too many
students and only one Internet station.  Please let me know your responses.
TIA.
Marilyn Paulk

------------------
From: Marsha Davis Schroeder <mschroed@pen.k12.va.us>

Jan
I am in a high school of about 800 students and we have two
labs where stuendent can access Internet thru Netscape.
Unfortunately management is not consistent...the IBM lab which
is monitored by an aide is far more lacks than I lets kids who
have returned permission slips explore.  although the principal
and I have both tried to explain the problems she is not really
"into computer and all she really knows about the net is how to
access it...not my problem!
the Mac Lab (15 computers) and the workstations in the Media
Center (4 PC's) are under my domian.  I only allow students to
access the net if they have a signed parental permission
contract signed by both the student and the parent and if they have a specific
interest and then I
wonder by periodically to make sure we haven't strayed from
that topic. If a teacher brings a class in for research and
request the net as a reference tool I will allow the student
(whether or not they have a signed form) onto the net with the
understanding that if they stray from their topic they will
receive 1 day out of school suspension.  the principal has made
it clear that he will back me on this and the kids realize it
is not a bluff.  We also have 8 Internet rules posted at all
computers explaining whe do's and don't and the penalaties.  I
would be glad to FAX you a copy if you are interested.
Hope this info makes sense and/or helps
Happy "crawling"
Marsha

----------------
From: nstull@infolane.infolane.com
Subject: Internet use

I am a high school librarian who has been letting students use the
Internet.  I devised a tutorial that students must read, with a test at the
end, plus a brief AUP that parents sign.  When this is completed, that are
free to go on the Internet on a first-come basis.  I tried signups- but
what to do when they don't show up and you've wasted a whole lunch time
waiting.  My students can use before, after, lunch, brunch times - we have
"turned off" chat lines, newsgroups, downloading to disk or hard drive -
the only thing they have access to is printing.  The Internet station is
right by the check-out desk, so we watch pretty closely.  We have 1800
students, and about 30 students so far who like to use the Internet.  Hope
this helps.
Nina F. Stull, Librarian

--------------
From: Phyllis Buck <cochjrsr@iu05trc.trinet.k12.pa.us>

Jan:  We are a small (450 students 7-12) in rural northwestern PA.  At this
time our school has only one account-mine.  The computer is housed in the
library and I am currently teaching e-mail/internet to 10th graders.  They
are assigned to me for 3 periods/week for 2 weeks.  This is strictly a
voluntary class and I have had a few who have decided not to attend.  We
probable have 3-5 students in each class.  At the same time I have also
offered the training to 11th and 12th graders.  These classes are held
before or after school, at lunch time, or during study hall.

Right now, students sign in on an Internet Log Sheet  with their name, time
in, time out and resources used.  I often have a group working at one time
(3-4 students).  I am unable to monitor them all the time, but will look
over their shoulder occasionally.  I have told them if they get into an area
that they know is inappropriate, they are to back out.  I have had no
problems (so far!).  Most are  more interested in sending and receiving
e-mail.

I will check the mail (or have a student do it) in the morning, and then
have one of the students transfer student's mail into their mailbox.  I have
given students their own boxes.  When they have a chance, they stop in to
check their mailbox.

This computer is also used for a variety of programs, so unless a student is
doing internet research which I have approved, the computer is  used for
other programs, such as searching magazine databases, etc
Hope this helps.
Phyllis

--------------
From: Dot Essex <dessex@tenet.edu>

Hi Jan.  I don't have answers for you as I am getting ready to make
internet access available through our lab computers (located in a room
adjacent to and accessible from the library), so I hope you will post a
hit if you do receive responses.

I will tell you some of the ideas I am considering at this time.  We do
not have staff available to monitor the lab before and after school and
during the day, so I'm going to advertise for "student mentors" to apply
to be lab assistants.  They will have to fill out an application, get
recommedations from two teachers, and demonstrate proficiency at basic
computer operations (opening/closing programs, saving, etc.). They will,
in essence, have to be "honor students," ones we know we can really count
on.  In addition, for students to gain internet access from one of the
machines, they will have to have a "user's permit," much like a driver's
license, that signifies they have been instructed on the AUP, know the
consequences of inappropriate behavior, etc.  Also, the student lab
mentor will have them sign a log as to which machine they will be using.
If anything is amiss, we can go back to the student who last logged on to
that machine.

Currently, the only internet access in my library is through my
professional account, so I personally log students on and assist them if
they positively, absolutely need to use the internet.  When the lab is
available next semester, the students will be logging on via the district
network and with their own logins.  Like you, I am a little concerned
about the day-to-day nuts and bolts.

Hope you get some good info and are able to post a hit.

------------------
From: "Va. Martin, Ketron Middle School" <MARTINV@TEN-NASH.TEN.K12.TN.US>

We're a middle school situation with only one internet connection in
the library.  This is our first full year of netting, and we're pretty
stingy.  Students do not have free access.  They must be participating
in an activity specifically using the net, and they must be supervised
since everyone logs on to my personal account on the Nashville server.
So far, we've just been doing keypals since I don't have time to work
with them on surfing or web browsing.  We are supposed to get a good
web browser with graphics this summer so thing should be easier.  So
far, when I've tried to find info, I have just got frustrated with
the slowness of wading through various levels of menus.

That's it  I've been asked to write an article about this, so if you have
any other ideas, please send them along.  I'm actually considering the
idea of writing one.  Thantks (That's supposed to be THANKS) for all
the help.
Jan Hylen
Salem High School
44 Geremonty Drive