I am normally reluctant to jump into "hot button" issues such as
the one that Richard L. posted about censorship on the Internet.

First, I congratulate Richard for his courage in posting his view
to a forum of professionals who tend to prize intellectual freedom
near the top of their priority lists of values.  There has been
much debate on the issue.  The matter is very complex, and needs
much more debate.

I believe that we (through our elected representatives) tinker
with freedom of expression at our great peril.  Notwithstanding
this, I believe that the current inclination to hold creators (as
opposed to carriers) of objectionable material responsible for
their actions is reasonable.  I am aware that defining
"pornography" can produce endless and fruitless conversation, and
that pornographic material is available to young people from
countless accessible sources besides the Internet.

I also agree with the commentator who indicated her desire not to
be constrained by other people's sensings about what warrants
censorship.  Unfortunately the issue is not resolved by a simple
"if you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone" argument.  Richard
rightfully alludes to the millions of latchkey children (of all
classes, regions, and ages) who live in "guidance/supervision
vacuums" from 2:00 PM to dinner time or later.  Current conditions
on the Internet (like it or not, and I don't) are not conducive to
their safety.

The notion that the guardians of other media channels seem to care
little about the safety of children does not afford license for
Internet users not to care either.  (I'm not suggesting a lack of
caring so much as a want of solutions).  As educators, we must
care, think, and work toward solutions that assure such safety
without foreclosing our right, and our students' right, to search,
express and make judgments about information that is appropriate
to their needs and developmental levels.

I am very uncomfortable about the attention that Congress is
devoting to this issue.  However, to date, self-regulation has
come up short and I don't know who else can craft protection from
the abuse of a fundamental freedom.  Whether any of us likes
*this* Congress or not, we *did* elect them to pass laws, and
there *is* a time-honored democratic mechanism to respond to the
creators of legislation we find unacceptable.

Since I'm short of answers myself, I'll end this the way I began,
which is to commend Richard for taking an unpopular stand with
this listserv on a very nettlesome subject, and for prompting us,
hopefully, toward a better collective understanding and command of
the problem.

John LeBaron (lebaronj@woods.uml.edu)
Faculty Chair, College of Education
University of Massachusetts Lowell
One University Avenue
Lowell, Massachusetts  01854-2881 (U.S.A.)

Phone: 508/934-4621
Fax: 508/934-3005
Teachers of teachers should teach
as they expect teachers of children to teach.

LM_NET Archive Home