        We have a teacher in our building who is originally from
        Peru.  She said that they do not believe in Santa Claus --
        only Jesus, who brings gifts to the chidren and puts them
        by their beds on the night of Dec. 24.  Adults exchange
        gifts.  All of the celebrating is done on Dec. 24, and
        almost everyone attends midnight mass.  If someone
        doesn't attend midnight mass, then he/she goes to church
        on Dec. 25; otherwise people sleep late on Dec. 25.  There
        are no Christmas trees (It's summer in Peru).  Most people
        decorate with very large (living-room size) nativity scenes.
        People open their homes to the public.  Neighborhood children
        visit to sing and dance in front of the nativity scenes.
        They are usually given cookies, candy, money, etc.
        A food that is usually common during Christmas is a type
        of sweet bread -- but not like fruit cake!

        Happy Holidays!!!

        Lynn McWhirter, Librarian
        lmcwhirt@sinnfree.sinnfree.org

LM_NET Archive Home