I agree that popular literature is a good bridge to other literature.  But
I don't think that is enough jutification for using taxpayer money to
purchase them.  How many librarians have actually read Stine books?  I
thought I might buy some for gifts for my teenage daughters since they
seem so popular, but after browsing the bookshelves at Walmart, I found
that most of them included horror/sensationalized murder plots and one
even involved a rape.  No wonder kids like them (but what would their
parents think about them reading them)
 I think there are plenty of other popular titles that are thrillers or
mysteries without being brutal and gross which would also entice readers
to use the library.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
sburyane@zaphod.wayne.esu1.k12.ne.us
Sue Buryanek, Library/Media Director
Wayne High School  611 W. 7th Street
Wayne, NE  68787       402-375-3150

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Chris Skrzeczynski wrote:

> Further to the R.L. Stine debate:
>
> I believe that while students are in the Resource Centre reading and
> borrowing then we have the opportunity to guide them towards what is
> considered quality literature.  Without R.L. Stine some of them would never
> be in the RC reading and borrowing and we would not have that opportunity
> with those students.
>
> We have a similar debate with the wonderful books of an Australian author
> Paul Jennings who writes with the most appropriate humour for children but
> many adults consider it gross to say the least.  I find Paul Jennings and
> now R.L Stine with the 'Goosebumps' series, ideal books for bridging the
> gap for young readers into what they call "Chapter Books".  From here we
> aim to move them on but I see no harm in sitting a while with Stine and
> Jennings.  After all, the world is still criticising Enid Blyton, whose
> Secret Seven, Famous Five and Bobsy Twins took me from picture books to the
> Narnia series many years ago!  Sorry Americains - they are probably very
> English books - Oz was very English in the days of my childhood!  But the
> point is that without "popular" literature, some students would never read
> at all.  It is our role as teacher-librarians to cash in on this reading
> fever and encourage the reading of a wide variety of literature.
>
> I highly recommend Paul Jennings as an author for emergent readers.  I hope
> you can buy his books in the US and other countries.
>
> Read on!
>
> Chris XYZ (short for Skrzeczynski)!
>
> Chris Skrzeczynski, Teacher-librarian  <cxyz@gil.com.au>
> Our Lady of the Rosary Primary School
> 1 Kenmore Road Kenmore, Qld 4069
> Australia  Ph: (07)33782412    Fax: (07)38783160
>
> Chris Skrzeczynski, Teacher-librarian  <cxyz@gil.com.au>
> Our Lady of the Rosary Primary School
> 1 Kenmore Road Kenmore, Qld 4069
> Australia  Ph: (07)33782412    Fax: (07)38783160

LM_NET Archive Home