I don't think any of us want our students subjected to pornography on the
Net. How can we guarantee that they won't find it?  And what is it,
anyway?  There is no actual definition on which everyone agrees.  Sure, we
know it when we see it, but there are many ways to find offensive stuff on
the Internet.  Have you ever read alt.tasteless jokes?  I find lots of the
jokes in there to be very offensive, so I don't read them.  Others don't
mind the humor.  How can we possibly police this?  I will teach my student
users of the Net that they are to be doing school-appropriate searches.
They should not be looking for offensive material and if they stumble on
it, they should immediately leave that screen.

The Net is a reflection of our world.  It contains mostly great stuff.

Audrey Glick
Monroe Traditional Middle School

aglick@freenet.columbus.oh.us

LM_NET Archive Home