I found a hit with MLA bibliography (CD-ROM) version, using subject
tracing <France-social life and customs>. Most of the articles were in
French. My student researcher was fluent in French, and knew which
citations to download. For the recipe you should try Larousse
Gastronomique, the encyclopedia of food, wine & cookery, by Prosper
Montagne, New York : Crown 1961. LCCN : 61-15788. p. 202. Note
following : "Another cake is
made in France at this time, shaped like a wooden shoe and is decorated
with petits fours."

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Linda S. Young wrote:

> Yesterday one of our french teachers asked for a recipe for "Buche de
> Noel", a special cake served as part of a traditional French Christmas
> celebration.  I checked all of our cookbooks, and tried several searches
> on  the Internet; and while I found many references to it, I found no
> recipes.  He wants to serve this at his French class Christmas party next
> week.
>
> Does anyone either have such a recipe, or pointers to where I might find
> it?  Any LM-NET members from France out there?  (It would be really neat
> to present the recipe to him in French!  Now that would be AUTHENTIC!)
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Linda Young
> lsyoung@mailbox.syr.edu
> Hannibal Jr.-Sr. High