I like picture books with a "different" twist - CinderEdna, The Frog
Princess (all librarians should love this one), The Prince and the
Black-eyed Pea (not sure I have that one right - I'm at home and can't
look at the title), Ruby (an urban, cat-and-mouse Red Riding Hood), and
others like that.  They are appreciated by adults and are good for
teaching point of view or for high school kids looking for a story for a
speech class.

Also like David McCauley's (sp?) Black and White.  Then some picture
books are really for adults or older kids - Sherry Garland's "I Never
Knew Your Name," Sendak's "In the Dumps with Jack and Guy."  I think they
are not for kids.  "Smokey Night" is done so it is okay for kids, but I
think adults should appreciate it, also.  Of course, I don't regard these
as "fun" like I do the ones above.

LM_NET Archive Home