If everyone will go back a check the archives
(gopher://ericir.syr.edu), they will find a bunch of variations of
this discussion. It is good to remember that Target / Hit was devised
to keep traffic down a bit on the list. The other big complaint is
that there are too many messages to cope with. Without T / H the
volume would double or triple.  If you want the experience of a very
high volume reference list, join Stumpers.

Another advantage of T / H is that people are forced to learn to
really use their email programs, instead just hitting "reply". I've
noticed that people who successfully compile a HIT send less
unintended messages to the list. In general, there are discussions
and target/hit with room for both.

Dan Robinson
dan@info.hwwilson.com

> Maybe we will get buried in a landslide of messages but I would agree
> with you. I like to pick and choose the messages and individual reactions.
>
> On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Marcia Dawn Epstein wrote:
>
> > I am one of the perhaps few that don't like the "Target / Hit" idea.  If
> > we just post our responses to the actual list, it becomes an on-going
> > conversation!  I like reading threads better than compiled responses.

LM_NET Archive Home