Wow, Christmas break is great! I actually have time to ask some of the
questions I have been thinking about all term.

I have a question for those of you who work in a high school, but have no
clerk or full-time time library aide. My schoolboard has just met and
determined that they will not fund an aide for my library. I find this
incredible, but I need to deal with the reality. I believe that the library
should be open all day, every day, whether I am available or not. I have
kept it open during all lunches except for the 30 minutes I eat. I also
keep it open after school when all the other teachers have a planning
period. I do have several student aides, some more reliable than others. My
problem is this: I am trying to automate the library, barcoding books and
adding titles through Unison's Alliance Plus. I have managed to do the
weeding needed, because I can do it right out in the library where the
students are. However, with no other adult in the library, I spend most of
my time supervising students, making sure they have passes when they
arrive, don't rip off magazines, checking out books, assisting with
computer problems (we have 10 computers, non-networked, not counting the
circulation computer), etc. My Alliance Plus is set up in my workroom,
visible to the library in general, but not "out there where the action is."
I have only one student aide I feel comfortable with entering titles. What
would you do in my place? I am considering taking my hour planning period
each day (which I never take) and saving it up, then closing the library
most of each Friday. Many times I just babysit kids who want to get out of
class Friday afternoon, anyway. What do you think? Do you have other
options that have worked? I would appreciate all suggestions.

Sincerely,

*  Fidelis Poncher, LMS      *                                            *
*  ponchef@mail.firn.edu     *                                            *
*  Interlachen High School   *  "It is only with the heart that man can   *
*  Rt. 1, Box 10             *     see rightly. What is essential is      *
*  Interlachen, FL 32148     *          invisible to the eye."            *
*  VOICE: 904-684-2116       *                                            *
*  FAX: 904-684-3929         *                                            *