Thanks to so many of you who responded to my request for Black authors for
elementary school age children.  There were so many responses that I wanted
to share them with you all.

Note:  Ezra Jack Keats and Vera Aardema are *not* African Americans.  Many
respondents included them on their lists.
Bryan, Ashley    Story of Lightning and Thunder
Clifton, Lucille      Three Wishes
Crews, Donald         Bigmama's, Shortcut, Freight Train
Cummings, Pat       Go Fish, Talking with Artists
Goldberg, Whoopi     Alice (retelling of Alice in Wonderland)
Giovanni, Nikki
Greenfield, Eloise        Poetry
Hamilton, Virginia
Haskins, Jim
Howard, Elizabeth        Aunt Flossie's Hats and Crab Cakes
                                    Later
Johnson, Angela           When I Am Old With You
Johnson, James Weldon     Lift Every Voice and Sing
Lester, Julius                Uncle Remus retellings
Mathis, Sharon Bell      Hundred Penny box
McKissack, Patricia    Mirandy and Broter Wind
Pinkney, Andrea (wife of Jerry's son Brian) biography of Alvin
                                    Ailey and a Kwanza book
Pinkney, Gloria Jean     Back Home, Sunday Outing
Ringgold, Faith     Tar Beach, Aunt Harriet's Underground
                             Railroad in the Sky

Steptoe, John       Stevie, Story of Jumping Mouse
Taylor, Mildred
Turner, Glennette Tilly   Take a Walk in Their Shoes
Walter, Mildred Pitts      Brother to the Wind

The following were also suggested...but I could not verify.
Silverstein, Shel
Hoffman, Mary
Flournoy, Valerie
Macmillan, Terri
McCall, Nathan
Boyd, Cancy Dawson
Medearis, Angela

Thanks to Kathy, Nancy, Casma, Vickie, Tamah, Ginny, Dianne, Paula, Jane,
Janet, Pat, Susan, Jan, Teresa, Rosalie, Linda and Ann

Sorry the HIT took so long!

Susan Ryhanen
Van Cort Elementary School
Mohegan Lake, NY