I'm not so sure that major education is needed...so long as there are
people who take jobs like this for that kind of pay, the public is fully
satisfied.  This extends to those who are professional librarians as
well.  I have never seen a group of such educated people with high
technological skills doing so much for so little pay.

Until we *refuse* to do this work unless we are paid commensurately, (and
I'm the first to admit *I'm* not going to leave the job I love,) the
public will continue to try to get the most they can for the least amount
of money.

Anne Knickerbocker                           Cedar Brook Elementary
Librarian                                    2121 Ojeman
SBISD                                        Houston, Texas 77080
aknicker@tenet.edu                           (713) 365-5020

On Wed, 1 Feb 1995, Global SchoolNet Fdn (FrEdMail) wrote:

> In a previous article, sornsin@SENDIT.NODAK.EDU (Kathleen Margaret Sornsin) sa
 ys
>  :
>
> >I agree; anyone who would take this job is nuts!  I'd say to the person
> >doing the hiring, "Obviously, you have no idea what a school
> >library/media center is for" and then I'd take a hike!
> >
> Unfortunately, there are many places (like most elementary schools in W. Mass)
> where someone is hired as a library aide and expected to run the library.
> And there are a lot of dedicated library-loving people who take those jobs,
> mostly uncertified, some with public library experience.  I had one in a
> brand new school for two years while I was getting my MLS.  MANY schools
> expect this of "library aides".  Major public education needed here, folks!
>

> --
> Johanna Halbeisen                               "We are confronted by
> Rebecca M. Johnson School(K-8)                   insurmountable opportunties."
> Springfield, Mass
> jhalbei@k12.oit.umass.edu                               Pogo

LM_NET Archive Home