Dear Carole,

I have a flex schedule and do book talks for all classes.  The teachers
and I wanted to continue this practice because this is one way to
encourage reading.  In the primary I only present one book but I add
extra information, visuals and discussion.  At the intermediate level, I
try to introduce several books under the same theme and add discussion.  Our
students clamor for these books so we think this is successful.

Moving to flexible scheduling is wonderful for media skills but I think
we are leaving fiction behind.  I have always felt we need to balance our
presentation of fiction and nonfiction beginning at the primary level.

And I enjoy sharing books and didn't want to leave this behind either.

Louise Edwards
Elementary Librarian
Mount Vernon, WA
ledwards@eagle.esd189.wednet.edu