Newsgroups: schl.sig.lmnet
From: wjkim@llwcny.ll.pbs.org (Joan Kimball)
Subject: HIT #1> 100th School Day Celebration
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 03:23:20 GMT

From Joan Kimball:  Thanks! to all who replied to my query about
books to celebrate the 100th school day.  Since it's upon us, I'll
post what I have so far.  I sent my request Jan. 31 at half-past
midnight and had 16 replies by Jan. 31 at 1 pm!

In my own school the first grade teacvhers read "The Wolf's
Chicken Stew", and a 4th grade teacher's kids brainstormed
ideas to fit 100 into every curricular area.      Joan.

Your replies in summary follow.

Titles recommended (most of this list was suggested by Brenda
Gail Gorman and Marlys Weiland):

Baars. Numbers 1 to 100.
Cowley. A Hundred Hugs.
Disney
Disney. 101 Dalmatians
Estes. The Hundred Dresses
Frith. I'll Teach my Dog 100 Words.
Hoban. 26 Letters and 99 Cents.
Howard.  I Can Count to 100...Can You?
Kaska.  The Wolf's Chicken Stew (six recommendations)
Kitchen.  Animal Numbert
LeSieg.  Ten Apples Up on top
Mathis.  The Hundred Penny box
Pinczes.  One Hundred Hungry Ants (four recommendations)
Rosenberg.  One to 100 Busy Counting kbook
Silverstein.  "Smart". (poem from Where the Sidewalk Ends)
Sloat.  From One to 100
Solot.  One Hundred Hamburgers
Viorst.  Alexander Who used to be Rich last Sunday

ACTIVITIES.
xxxCarolyn Mollenkopf of Baltimore writes that Feb. 6 is the
100th birthday of Babe Ruth.  ruth "was born here in Balto and
we will be dedicating a new statue to him."
xxxAnne Symons writes: "Last year I was a guest in a classroom
and I was one hundred years old.  I told stories and sang some
songs and told about how it was in the old days."
xxxJoy Branham's kindergartners bring in jars of 100 things,
make a ring of 100 kids, take 100 steps, put 100 stickers on posters.
xxx Nadine Clark puts 100 books together on a libraray table.
xxx Linda Ellis' school created a banner of 100 book titles.
xxx Cyc Hanson's 6th graders made placemats with 100 objects on
them, went to the gym with the kindergartners and shot 100
baskets, jumped rope 100 times, tossed the ball 100 times.
xxx Richard Librarian says learnt o write 100 in many languages:
French, German, binary, roman...
xxx Several people ask for 100 greetings on the net
xxx Anita Plfuger's school had each class create 100 of something.  She
displayed 100 biographies one year, 100 catalog cards another year.
The principal put 100 marbles in each of 3 differenct size jars
and asked which jar held 100.  She says the kids' reaction was
interesting when they discovered that each jar held the same amt.
--
Joan Kimball, LMS        Hart's Hill School

LM_NET Archive Home