O.K. I'm stumped here.  A history teachers is having his sophomores read
a novel about or an original work from Europe 1000-1700 A.D.  At first I
didn't know why 1000--then I remembered 1066, The Battle of Hastings!

Anyway, the time period eliminates Arthur (sixth century) as well as all
the exciting novels about the French Revolution.  I tried What Do Young
Adults Read Next's time period index.  I don't have a Fiction Catalog.  I
looked in the card catalog (yes, an actual wooden drawer with 3x5 cards
with holes in them) under Middle Ages-Fiction, but this isn't really the
Middle Ages (486-1453, according to the American Heritage Dictionary).  It
does take in the Renaissance (14th-16th century).  So I used the list
posted by Elaine Ezell on 1/18/95, but that included Arthurian things.
So far I have:
Stone   The Agony and the Ecstasy
Gerson  The Conqueror's Wife
Kelly   The Trumpeter of Krakow
Pyle    Otto of the Silver Hand
Cervantes       Don Quixote
Bunyan  Pilgrim's Progress
Swift   Gulliver's Travels
Scott   Ivanhoe

A student referred me to the World Book under literature, and I highly
recommend the timeline found there.  Authors and literature from the time
period include French Troubadours, Minnesingers, Das Nibelungenlied (and
as a German major, I had to read these a good while ago), Scandinavian
sagas, Dante, Petrarch, Giovanni Boccaccio, Chaucer, Robelais, Cervantes,
Shakespeare, Moliere, Jonathan Swift, and John Bunyan.

I'm not sure about a lot of the titles on Elaine's list.  The thing is,
once the students have selected a book (by Friday, February 10), they are
not allowed to change their minds and must stick with it until June.  Any
others come to your collective minds?  A lot of eager sophomores are
waiting for your replies.

Thanks so much,
Diane Oestreich
Fullerton Union High School