We have an ARCO publication about College-Bound Reading that includes
lists from surveyed colleges as well as the traditional 'l00 best'.  I use
Spelman's list and Ohio State's.  They include some 'modern'and more
relevant authors.

Freshman Reading LIst from Spelman College -

The Fire Next Time, James Baldwin
Blues People, Imamu Amiri Baraka (LeRoi Jones)
All American Women, Johnnetta B. Cole, ed.
The Souls of Black Folk, W.E.B.DuBois
From Slavery to Freedom, John Hope Franklin
When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America,
   Paula J. Giddings
The Best of Simple, Langston Hughes
Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston
Why We Can't Wait, Martin Luther King, Jr.
Judith Jamison:Aspects of a Dancer, Olga Maynard
for colored girls who have considered suicide when the rainbow is enuf;a
  choreopoem, Ntosake Shange
Meridian, Alice Walker
Invented Lives: Narratives of Black Women 1860-1960, Mary Helen Washington
The Mid-Education of the Negro, Carter G. Woodson

OSU Modern Literature

"The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock", T.S. Eliot
Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison
Love Medicine, Louise Erdrich
The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner
The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald
"Design","Birches", Robert Frost
"Howl", Alan Ginsberg
In Our Time, The Sun Also Rise, HHemingway
Their Eyes Were Watching God, Hurston
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Joyce
Sons and Lovers or Women in Love, Lawrence
Death of a Salesman, Miller
the poetry of Marianne Moore
Sula or Beloved, Toni Morrison
The Iceman Cometh, Eugene O'Neill
"Lady Lazarus", Sylvia Plath
The Crying of Lot 49, Thomas Pynchon
"Diving into the Wreck", Adrienne Rich
"For My Lover, Returning to His Wife", Anne Sexton
"Sunday Morning", Wallace Stevens
To the LIghhouse or Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf
"The Second Coming",, "Sailing to Byzantium", "Leda and the Swan", Yeats

Everybody seems to have their favorites!

Geri Moulton Beechcroft High School Library
gmoulton@freenet.columbus.oh.us
6100 Beechcroft Road
Columbus,Ohio 43329        614-365-6800

LM_NET Archive Home