Newsgroups: schl.sig.lmnet
From: cronn@llwcny.ll.pbs.org (Katherine Cronn)
Subject: Re: Evening Library Hours
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 02:42:50 GMT

Amy Johnsen-Harris (AMYJS@DSL.RHILINET.GOV) wrote:
: Last week one of you sent out a call for information about keeping
: libraries open evenings.  The day after, my school's administration
: suggested doing the same, and now I would like to get in touch with the
: person who posted the original inquiry OR any of you who would like to
: repeat your experiences/opinions.  Thanks.
: Amy Johnsen-Harris, Cranston Rhode Island (10-12 High School)

The high school library is open on Wednesday nights from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
It is staffed by one of the library clerks and one or two volunteer parents.
Only students from our building who have research/reference assignments are
given evening passes.

It has been difficult to get the students to realize that the clerks are
limited in their ability to assist them, but after 7:15 to 4:00 or later I'm
in no shape to return to work nights.  Ideally, there should be a
professional available to the students if the library and its resources are
to be optimally utilized, but we are a small school (700) with just one full
time professional.  It is a compromise that has been appreciated and enjoyed
by our better and heavily involved students.

Kate Cronn
Oneida Senior High School
Oneida, NY  13421           kcronn@mohawk.moric.org
                            cronn@llwcny.ll.pbs.org