Two more fine replies have come in to my request for encouraging reading
among middle schoolers.

From m_schwartz@sparc3.sparcc.ohio.gov --
"I am in the middle of running a very successful reading motivation
program.  A Celebrity Auction.  Students are given 6 weeks to read for
pleasure.  They must complete a brief report on each book read which is
also signed by a parent/guardian.  For every 50 pgs. read, the students
receive a token to be used to bid on items received for the auction; i.e.,
a San Francisco 49'ers sweater.  It is voluntary.  Last year 400 of our 700
students participated, reading 350,000 pages."

From Barbara Gardner, bgardner@esd112.wednet.edu --
"In answer to your question:
1. Give good book-talks.  An old stand-by you probably already use.
2. Find lots of what they like to read, even if it's not quality stuff.
They eventually move on.  "Goosebumps," Scary Stories," any current
interest magazines like "Sports Illustrated for Kids," "BMX"-type, "Hot Rod
for Kids," "nintendo Power," etc.
3. This works the best: Have the teachers give a reading assignment.  Work
with the teacher on goals; then give appropriate book talks.
Good luck!"

Are there still other winning methods out there we would like to "add to
our quiver"?  Send them along, please.

Katharine Bruner                        Brown Middle School
brunerk@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us          Harrison TN

LM_NET Archive Home