Sister Penny Cunningham spoke bout the problems of a K-8 library.  I had a
scene the other day where some third graders pounced on the section about
drugs, alcohol and smoking (all anti books, but still with pictures and very
alluring).  The teacher was telling them they couldn't take the books out,
and I intervened, having trouble with telling kids they can't take out a
certain book.  The teacher later told me they were selecting books to read
with their reading buddies (6th graders) and books like those weren't good,
for reasons that made sense to me.  The next time the calss came in, the
teacher said, "I'm going to tell you if you can take the book out" to the
kids.  I felt funny about it, but haven't figured a way to deal with it yet.

--
Johanna Halbeisen                               "We are confronted by
Rebecca M. Johnson School(K-8)                   insurmountable opportunties."

LM_NET Archive Home