Got your quote.  One of my favorites.  It's long.  Hope our readers don't
mind.

Desiderata:

"Go placidly amid the noise & haste, & remember what peace there may be
in silence.  As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with
all persons.  Speak your truth quietly & clearly; and listen to others,
even the dull & ignorant; they too have their story.  Avoid loud &
aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.  If you compare
yourself with others, you may become vain & bitter; for always there will
be greater & lesser persons than yourself.  Enjoy your achievements as
well as your plans.  Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.  Exercise
caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.  But
let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for
high ideals; and everywhere life is full on heroism.  Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.  Neither by cynical about love; for
in the face of all aridity & disenchantment it is perennial as the
grass.  Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the
things of youth.  But do not distress yourself with imaginings.  Many
fears are born of fatigue & loneliness.  Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.  You are a child of the universe, no less than
the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here.  And whether or not
it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and
whatever your labors & aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep
peace with your soul.  With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams, it is
still a beautiful world.  Be careful.  Strive to be happy."

Barbara Gardner
Federal Way School District
Lake Grove Elementary
bgardner@esd112.wednet.edu

On Wed, 1 Feb 1995, Friends Academy wrote:

> LM_Neetters,
> Here is another poetry request for anyone who might know this one.
> We have tried all of the popular sources, but as we do not know the
> title, author or possibly even the first line, we have not been able to
> locate the poem which this line comes from: "Go placidly among the noise
> and haste."
>
> If you know the author or title of the poem, or an anthology which
> contains the poem this line comes from, please respond to me directly.
> Thanks :-)
> Judy James
> falib@transit.nyser.net
> Friends Academy