Newsgroups: schl.sig.lmnet
From: cjmacalp@llwcny.ll.pbs.org (Jean Macalpine)
Subject: flexible scheduling
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 19:26:54 GMT

        I would like to hear from librarians in large schools (800 or more)
who use a flexible schedule for classes and resource planning, etc.  I am a
librarian in a large (840) students, grades Kdg. - 5.  I have 36 fixed
classes a week.  My teaching assistant teaches Kindergarten and 1st grade,
and I do the rest.
        When our enrollment was below 650 or so, I accomodated both fixed
classes and had blocks of time for planning and working with classes.  I
liked the fixed part because it assured both the teachers and me that their
classes had at least 30 minutes a week when they could come to the library
for a book exchange if nothing else.
        Now, however, we are locked into a block schedule, and while my
principal and I would like to convert to a more flexible format, I am having
trouble visualizing how to do it simply because of our size.  We have six
sections of every grade level.  After being in the district for eleven
years, I do know the curriculum and know when teachers are going to
introduce and teach certain units of instruction, but as you can imagine,
there is next to zero time for joint planning.
        I am proud to say that I have created several units of instruction
which the teachers have incorporated into their curriculum over the years,
and now depend on me to teach at certain times of the year, such as
biography and Black History.  However, I cannot say that we are really
flexible, and it occurred to me that perhaps some of you might be able to
suggest ways of increasing the flexibility of library access, and
heightening teachers' awareness of the librarian as resource person.  I'll
be happy to post a hit when I receive some responses.  Thank you.
Jean MacAlpine
Clinton Elementary School
Clinton, New York 13323
--