Classifiying problem

        The book is Bobbie Kalman's _The Arctic Land_.  It covers all
the countries that are in the Arctic (Alaska, USA, Canada, Greenland,
Lapland, Siberia) and talks about the people in each (briefly).  Then it
covers the flora, weather, land, resources, ecology.
        LC puts it in 913.  No one in my library will find it there.  We
have no other books in 913 (912 being relatively unrelated).  Because
1) our catalog is very unreliable [long story, not worth going into here]
and 2) most elementary children don't easily use the catalog anyway,
I VERY much want to find another place to put this book.  Possibilities
are ecologic regions (574, I think) or throw it into Canada or Alaska
sections.  Any thoughts on this one?  Does anyone else reclassify books
to fit their library and have run into similar problems?  I *know* this
is heresy to anyone who thinks that whatever comes from LC is law.
But my byword is ACCESS.  So I reclassify.

--
Johanna Halbeisen                               "We are confronted by
Rebecca M. Johnson School(K-8)                   insurmountable opportunties."

LM_NET Archive Home