Discipline is always a problem, but there are several tactics which I've
found to be useful.   (1)  I ask the student(s) to step into my office. I
do this in a low-key manner and usually the student(s) comply.  Once
there, I explain to them what I saw or heard them doing.  The student has
the opportunity to justify him/herself.  Usually they agree that my
observations were correct, but then try to justify their actions.  I then
explain why their actions were disruptive and what changes I expect in
their behavior.  We sometimes discuss how to avoid that kind of behavior
in the future.  Finally I tell them what actions I will take regarding
this behavior (a call home, restriction from the library, administrative
referral, etc.)
        (2)  I try never to give the student an audience for the
discussion between the offenders and myself.  The audience will usually
side with the student and things go from bad to worse.
        (3)  Our administration has agreed that chronic offenders should
be restricted in their usage of the library.   This is usually saved for
a last-resort, and even then, the student is usually permitted to use the
library before and after school, or when in the company of his/her
teacher. Also the student may bring his/her parent/guardian to the
library to supervise his/her behavior!   When restricting usuage, we
always outline the terms of the restriction and the length of it. This
kind of agreement should be outlined with the administration so that they
don't overrule you.  Long term restrictions are usually decreed by the
administrator, rather than me.  I present the case; the administrator
makes the judgement.  Short term restrictions are usually done by me -
very quickly!
        4)  Last by not least, when you notice that a chronic offender is
now cooperating and behaving, be sure to be just as vocal on the good
behavior as you were on the bad.  Kids need to hear that they are doing
good.

P.S.  These tactics have evolved over a period of 23 years in one school.
I have approx. 1200 students in an urban school. They're a tough group
but I love them.

Judy Gray, Nottingham H.S., Syracuse NY      jagray@freeside.scsd.k12.ny.us

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, Scotlandville HS #3 wrote:

> Dear group,
> Please help us.  What do you do with students who misbehave in the library
> when they are there with a teacher who can't or won't do anything about it?
> What do you do about chronic offenders--students who habitually cause
> disruptions, are disrespectful, and won't behave?  What can be said to
> administrators about what recourse librarians have for disciplining
> students in the library.  We can't give grades, so what can we do?
> Please send messages either to us or post to the whole group.  Thanks
> so much.  We are in a quandry here.
>
> Joyce Robinson and Gail Hawkes
> Istrouma High School
> Baton Rouge, Louisiana