Dear LM_Netters,
        Could any of you share how you have the "Birthday Book" donation
at your school.  I know that some schools encourage parents to donate a
book to the library media center on their child's birthday.

        In considering setting up such a program, I am wondering
1)Has the librarian already purchased books from which the parent may select?
  Or does the parent go to a bookstore and buy?

2) How is the child honored in the school?  (child's name announced on
the loud speaker?  book read to the class and child honored there?
book plate in the book? . . . ?)

3) This is the one that really concerns me:  Does a birthday child whose
family does not buy a book feel left out?  Is there a way to avoid this--
or am I predicting problems that do not exist?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Anne Repp
Richmond, VA 804-355-3804
reppannxx@urvax.urich.edu