I'd be interested in hearing from anyone out there who has confronted the
issue of who is responsible for teaching the use of electronic media. I
feel teaching a resource like Compton's Multimedia is really no different
from teaching the use of an encyclopedia in text form. Since we are
responsible for the latter(and all information resources) we should also
be responsible for the former. I think this teaching should ,as always, be
linked up with a particular unit or assignment and this is where the
computer teacher would come in. Once we have covered the basic skills, the
students could practice the application of it in the computer lab perhaps
in preparation for a report.  Please let me know what you think and how
this issue has been addressed in your school and what your opinions are. If I
get enough response I will summarize for the group.  The underlying
problem is that as more and more electronic media are being used which can
be acceessed from anywhere, the walls of the library are coming down and
its hard to know where our field of expertise starts or ends and another
department's begins.

Please reply to me emurphy@umd5.umd.edu Thanks. Ellen R. Murphy Charles
E. Smith Jewish Day School Rockville, MD

LM_NET Archive Home