Thanks to the 19 elementary librarians who responded to my
 question if we should have R.L. Stine books in elementary
 schools.  Seven said they had Goosebumps series; 7 said
 they had Fear Street; 6 said they put none on shelf.  Some
of the comments included: 3 libraries made 5th or 6th
 graders bring a note from home to read the books; covers
were worse than the books; had read all the books and
only two were not put on the shelf.

On the negative side comments included that students will
read only the Goosebumps series and then parents do not
notice difference between them and Fear St; one Canadian
school had had complaints resulting in a teacher-librarian
committee concerned with violence and stereotyping of
women as victims; better literature available; allow
students to report on one per quarter but they have to
get book someplace other than that library; available
through their book fair.

I guess the result is a draw over including them.  I think
I shall in that there were several success stories with
them in getting the reluctant readers to read.  There
are Accelerated Reader tests out for some now also.  One
librarian almost traced a complete turnaround in one
classes' reading stemming from the teacher reading one
to the class.

Only the Canadian school had actually had censorship
problems, but others were fearful of them.