On Sun, 12 Feb 1995, Joyce Lucas wrote:

> I am curious as to   whether your students are checking out their
> own books with the barcode reader or if you have one person in
> charge of that.  I can forsee some problems with elementary
> students being too rough with the equipment, especially when the
> barcode does not read the first time.  I would also expect that
> many middle school and high school students would try to sign
> books out in other people's names.  I would love feedback for either
> level of student.  Thanks.

I am in a K-6 elementary school.  This is my third year.  The first year
I taught the 6th graders how to check in and out their own books.  I had
no problems at all except for them occasionally doing it wrong or not
looking at the screen.  In fact, when I did not have parent volunteers
during some of my classes, the sixth graders would come in to check the
books in and out for the lower grades.  Last year I taught 5th and 6th
graders.  However, last year, I did catch one or two students checking
books out in their teacher's name or in someone else's.  Those kids
happened to be in one class, and that class has been banned from checking
books in or out.  This year, only the sixth graders  are using the
automated system.  I have had very few problems with the students doing this.

I think it might depend on your students.  This is a very small school,
quite close-knit.  It is fairly easy to keep track of everyone in the school.
So far, no one has tried any funny business in terms of messing up the
computer system, playing with the barcode reader or even abusing the
privilege of checking out their own books.

Tamah Graber
Darnestown E.S.
Darnestown, MD     tgraber@umd5.umd.edu

LM_NET Archive Home