Melissa Davis and somebody else asked for books about death.  A Hit>
hasn't been posted yet.  But here is something I saved last year.  I
think it came from KIDLIT.

Subject: death and life cycle

Hello everyone,

I am taking a Children's Literature class here at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo at
  the moment, and it is both a lot of fun and a lot of work. One of the assignme
 nts is a group presentation on a specific theme in Children's Literature, and m
 y group's theme i
s "Life and Death -- The Cycle of Life". It will be about losing a loved one, th
 e death of a pet, the end of life as part of life. We are still in a very early
  stage. If there is any books that come to your mind concerning the topic, I wo
 uld be very grate
ful for any ideas. Thanks a lot!

Natalie Theresa Neu
A Day No Pigs Would Die - Robert Newton Peck
Who Has Seen the Wind - W. O. Mitchell
Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery

I will check my files tomorrow ... there is a wonderful young children's story b
 ook that deals with death ... and it seems half the ones we teach in the high s
 chool are related to your theme.

Please post your titles when you are finished.

Barbara
Subject: Just one suggestion on Books about Death.

The book, The Tenth Good thing about Barney, By Viorst.
Re: Losing a pet AND life and death -- best I know is I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU --
 don't have it at home, so can't give author.

Stages of life -- WILFRID GORDON MCDONALD PARTRIDGE by Mem Fox, about a little b
 oy and his elderly friend at a nursing home -- he helps her find her memory in
 a very touching way.

Death -- the WONDERFUL picture story book by Paul Goble, BEYOND THE RIDGE.  Thes
 e are a few of my favorites!

Connie Mellon
East Carolina University

From: Amy Heath <ee545@cleveland.Freenet.Edu>
Subject: Re: theme of "Life" in lit.

TUCK EVERLASTING by Natalie Babbitt

Would this fit the age group you're thinking of?
From: Marg Stimson <mstimson@minet.gov.mb.ca>

The 4th edition of Books to Help Children Cope with Separation and Loss by Rudma
 n,Gagne and Bernstein has a chapter you'll want to consult. Missing from their
 suggestions is Carricks' The Accident, a poignant tale
of a pet's death. Barr produced a film based on the book in 1985.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Margaret Stimson                   Outside my window:
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada         Prairie in the sunshine
mstimson@minet.gov.mb.ca
From: MARILEE PRICE <S7HE@UNB.CA>
Subject: Re: child books about death

Natalie and her group,

Have you seen "Granpa" by John Birmingham?  It is a picture book about a little
 girl, and her grandfather.  They enjoy each other's company throughout the year
 , but at the end of the book, Granpa gets sick and dies.  Let us all know how y
 ou make out!

Good luck,
Marilee Price
Education student at University of New Brunswick,
Canada
From: "Jennifer M. Bone" <jbone@keene.edu>
Subject: Re: your mail

My favorite book about the life/death cycle is Lifetimes by Brian Mellonie

Jennifer
From: cafephrk@echonyc.com
Subject: Books about Death

Natalie Neu asked for children's books which deal with death. There are so many
 good ones.  You might want to take a look at:

 That Dog!  by Clare Newberry Turlay
 Bridge to Terabithia by katherine Paterson
 A Taste of Blackberries by Doris Buchanan Smith
 Everywhere by Bruce Brooks
 Say Goodnight, Gracie by Julie Reece Deaver
 Where the Lillies Bloom by Vera and Bill Cleaver
 The Borning Room by Paul Fleischman
 Ajeemah and His Son by James Berry
 Sounder by William H. Armstrong

Good luck on your project!  I would be very interested to hear about the books t
 hat your group things are very special.

 --Cathy Young
   cafephrk@echonyc.com