>On Wed, 15 Feb 1995 21:15:12 -0500
>daisy <dherndon@UMD5.UMD.EDU> Wrote:
>Subject: ?"Snowshoe Thompson" biographical info

>One of our 2nd grade classes is doing research on book they read about a
>man named John  "Snowshoe" Thompson who delivered mail on skis in the
>Sierra Nevada mountains.

Actually there has been a good number of books on "Snowshoe" Thompson.
They are usually done by small publishing outfits up here. We are
located on his "route" from Bodie to Fresno. His "snowshoes" by the
way were what we call Skiis today. They were 10ft long in some cases
and used one pole like in a gondola. He did is mail run in about three
days and considering the terain and distance over the Sierras it's
incredible. The Friends of Bodie is a good place to start, they have
a good library and handout type literature.

Friends of Bodie
P.O. Box 515
Bridgeport, CA 93517

Don Shields