Recently my principal (high school) received complaints from "the student
leadership" that they did not feel welcome in the library. Our rules are
few: NO food or drink, hats, loud talking, book bags are left at the
door, and passes are required during school hours. I ask that students
not sit on tables or tilt chairs backwards. A notice was posted at the
door concerning the food, hats, book bags. I was asked to remove this
sign. Additionally, I was told not to turn away students when the library
is "full" (meaning the number of chairs = number of students). This
furthers the negative image by telling students they are not welcome.  MY
QUESTION IS:  What kind of rules are in place at other high schools?
What do you do when your library is "full"?  What types of signs are
posted in your library? P.S. We are an extremely busy library. Our
individual use has almost doubled each year for the past three years. We
have flexible, first-come, first serve scheduling for research classes
and available seating is often full with those classes. The district
recently voted down a bond issue which would have expanded our space, so
we must make do for awhile longer with the status quo in space. Please
respond to me directly & I will post a hit on "library image/discipline.
Thanks for your help.

Sandy Barron
sbarron.tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home