Since several of you have been discussing whether to let students check
out books or not, I'm interested in one aspect of your system.  On our
system, unless you press "enter" after completing a transaction, the previous
student's name stays on the screen with a blank for an accession number for
additional checkouts.  It is very easy to scan the bar code of another
student's book into the previous student's account.

If all systems have that feature, I would be afraid to let students check
their own because they may forget to be sure the previous account has
been cleared first.  We have already experienced that occurance with two
library aides and I being the only ones to scan cards and barcodes.  We
now know to be extra careful to clear the screen, but in a rush, who can
guarantee that everyone remembers?

Betty
bhamilt@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home