>From a librarian who met "Carolyn Keene"!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 00:29:13 -0500
From:HKRcat@aol.com
To: mrsmit02@mailbox.syr.edu
Subject: Carolyn Keene

As for my Carolyn Keene info...its sort of general, but here goes.  I have an
autographed copy of Nancy Drews#57 The Triple Hoax, c1979.  It is signed
Carolyn Keene (Harriet Adams).  The charming author was quite advanced in
years at that time, and the hand writing is very shaky.  In her talk which
she gave at Macy's in NYC, she told how the name came about.  It seems that
her father wrote books for boys, among them The Hardy Boys series.  She
thought that it would be nice if there could be a series like that for
girls...as she said..."Wouldn't it be keen!"...and thus came about the pen
name of Carolyn Keene...since her father thought that the author of girls
stories should be a woman.  When he got older, she took over writing the
stories for him...and eventually took over the pseud. when he died.  Most of
the books were formulas which he and then she created and and which others
wrote.    Hope this helps fill out the picture a bit.

LM_NET Archive Home