As I work with my sophomores on their persuasive speeches, I like to get
them to think about the information they are reading or using.  I try to
tell them they shouldn't take everything they read and hear for gospel.
One of the ways I do it is by taking some of the magazines and telling them
who publishes them, what their biases or point-of-views may be, reading
levels, etc.  They are amazed at what I present to them.  For example:  I
tell them the magazine "America" is published by the Jesuits of the
CAtholic Church and the articles are unsolicited.  Therefore, they should
know most of the articles are going to support one side of an issue or
another and that they may be very biased.  My problem is, I don't know a
lot of this information about most of the magazines that they use.  Does
anyone know where I can find this information?  Does anyone else do this
kind of teaching?  What are your experiences?  I am also interested in
finding out this kind of information about newspapers and network news
(where most kids get their information).  Help!

Gayle Collins
Northfield High School
Northfield, Minnesota

LM_NET Archive Home