While I appreciate Peter's intervention on our behalf, I can understand
how Ryan could have gotten his message through without his librarian's
approval.  Many of us really depend on volunteers, both student and
adult, and I have found that volunteers don't always follow my
instructions, no matter careful and explicit I have been.  Volunteers
tend to be an independent sort.  Our school has one E=Mail connection.
Every staff member has access to the password.  Many of them have
students do things that I do not consider appropriate (sign their names
on checkout cards, for example)  While they were all told that students
are to use the account only under their supervision, they don't always
remember the hundreds of things they are told.  I can easily see how a
student could find out the password, and from there sending a message on
LM_net would be a snap.

I am in elementary school, and even so my curious little kids cause me
all kinds of problems with their unauthorized computer explorations.
Most of what they do is not deliberate.  I shudder to think of what high
school students can do.

Actually I'm surprised we don't have more student postings than we do,
none of which is to say that I am in favor of it.  I just feel that it
could happen to me and probably to lots of others.
Paula Neale
mohmie@coop.crn.org

LM_NET Archive Home