A few days ago, Madeline Buchanan included the Birmingham Public Schools
evaluation sheet for librarians.

I would like to comment that I have always been uncomfortable
with that kind of check-list evaluation. Instead, my principal and I use a
Portfolio Assessment.  I strongly feel this is the only kind of evaluation
that should be done for teachers and librarians.  At the end of
the school year, I write up my accomplishments, concerns, goals for the
following year and so forth, and include
any other letters, hand-outs etc. that I would like included in
my personal file. It is a pleasure to reflect and evaluate the year and
to give this appraisal to my supervisor who may discuss the portfolio
with me and/or write comments if she chooses.  In our discussion of
 " librarian title" much has been said about how many
librarians feel misunderstood and unappreciated about what
he or she "really" does.  This is a way to yearly put on record what you
you have done that year.
        As Director of Writing at the University of Omaha, my husband
uses this tool with all his half-time and part-time writing staff.
Most teachers appreciate this kind of evaluation.  It can also
be used as an instruction devise for an administrator to discuss with
the employee, e.g. librarian what he/she is doing and perhaps changes
that should be made in the following year.  It is a wonderful way to
assess your strengths and weaknesses and learn from the
evaluation in a positive manner.

P.S.  I feel fine with the word "librarian" in my title.  University
librarians use it and the place on campuses to look for information  is
called a "library".  These very skilled librarians do not seem to find the
title degrading or in need of other impressive terms.

P.S.S -Another netter commented that we should move on from out discussion
of name to what we do which is to serve the school.  As all librarians
know who have been in different schools, much less worked at different
grade levels, the job changes with the site.  Each school has different
needs and expectations.  If we are doing our job, we don't come in with
a long list of all sorts of things we "think" we "should" be doing, but
assess the school and see how we can be the best possible librarian
within the conditions of that site.  An interesting part of the
discussion on the net is hearing how varied our jobs and working
conditions are and yet we are all "librarians" or some variation
of that title.  I have been a librarian in two states and at three
different levels.  The jobs were so different that I almost feel I
need to change my title as I move to each new site.

                Sarah Peckham, Library Media Director
                E-Mail: speckham@bluejay.creighton.edu
                        speckham@unomaha.edu
                MARIAN HIGH SCHOOL, Omaha, NE 68134