Hi Pat and everyone,

David Pogue writes in the February MacWorld magazine on page 171 that
screen savers are unnecessary.

The best way to keep kids from installing passwords is to beat them to the
punch and install one yourself. In nearly every case, one must put in an
old password before selecting a new one.

Doug

>We have been using Darkside on all the computers in our building. Just
>before the holidays we had a rash of problems and found that one of the
>settings available puts in a password. Students found this and either
>made up a password or typed in gibberish. This locked up the computer
>until that password was entered. Since we usually didn't know the
>password or who put it in, we have decided that we will have to remove
>the screen savers from all computers. Does anyone know how to protect
>against this in Darkside or know of another freeware screen saver that
>does not have this feature?

Doug Johnson, District Media Supervisor | An MIT study predicts the
Mankato Public Schools, ISD 77          | median age of Internet users will
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713         | drop from 26 to 15 within the
Voice:507-387-7698 Fax:507-387-2496     | next five years. (Bottom Line
djohns1@west.isd77.k12.mn.us or         | Personal 10/15/94 p.10)
palsdaj@vax1.mankato.msus.edu

LM_NET Archive Home