Cheryl Stevens asks
> I am hoping someone out there can help me. I am still a little confused
> about how the world-wide web works. I have used MOSAIC to access it, but
> am now looking for software I can run off the computer in the media
> center and where I can get this  for free (I believe it can be downloaded
> for free.) My hardware is a Macintosh PowerPC 6100/60 AV.

The World Wide Web (WWW) is a method of handling information on the Internet
(called a protocol).  If you think of the Internet as cable TV, WWW is
one of the channels, Gopher is another, E-mail is another, Telnet is
another, etc.

To "tune in" to the WWW "channel" you need a web browser.  Mosaic,
from NCSA is one of these programs.  There are a number of different
browsers available, and they all perform the same basic functions in
pretty much the same manner.  My personal favorite is MacWeb.

The three most common browsers are available via anonymous FTP at:

Mosaic:   ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
MacWeb:   ftp.einet.net
Netscape: ftp.mcom.com

If you don't know about anonymous FTP let me know, but that's a separate
question :-)  You might also want to seek out local help; it is so
much easier to get started if you can find someone to walk you through
the first few steps in getting set up.  Hope this helps!

University of Minnesota                   sec@boombox.micro.umn.edu
Distributed Computing Services         (612) 625-1300 Fax: 625-6817

    Interested in setting up your own WWW and E-mail server?

LM_NET Archive Home