Paula,
     Often the school versions have more of an actual teacher's guide rather
then simply instructions for running or installing the disc.  We (the Ed
Resource Center at Wright State) just purchased the Living Books collection
from Broderbund, which has the 4 cd-rom discs, JUST GRANDMA AND ME, ARTHUR'S
TEACHER TROUBLES, THE TORTOISE AND THE HARE, and THE NEW KID ON THE BLOCK.
 The instructional materials that accompany these discs are WONDERFUL!!

You asked if there was a program that was especially wonderful ---
     We also purchased a disc called FATTY BEAR'S BIRTHDAY SURPRISE by
Humongous Entertainment.  I am not sure I would have used this title, but the
program is wonderful for preschool and primary children.  It is very
intuitive and causes children to think and problem solve.  My 6 year old
grandson field tested it for me over the holidays and he LOVED IT!!!!  To
give you some idea of the ps required --- Fatty Bear is collecting
ingredients for a birthday cake and letters to decorate that cake.  The
player takes him from room to room seeking items.  As I tried to use this
game (so I could help my grandson), I encountered a locked door.  There is a
mouse hole beside the door, so I clicked on that spot.  The mouse comes out
with a key, but it won't let you pick up the key.  After about 5 minutes I
gave up on trying to get into that room!  Matthew, however, remembered there
was cheese in the refrigerator in the kitchen; which he proceeded to collect,
then drop in front of the mouse.  The mouse released the key and voila, Matt
had entre to the door.  And I was worried he might need my help in playing
this game!?!
     This is definitely a step above some of the more mindless programs that
are pure entertainment.
Marjorie Pappas
Library Media Program Advisor
Wright State University