I think a security system is really helpful. Somehow the students bent on
*intentionally* removing books seem to think that removing the bar code
will defeat the security system, and the first time we caught someone it
was a good lesson for all in the class.

You do have to be sure that your computer monitors are not close enough
to your gate to interfere (if you're using 3M at least) or there might be
a number of books walking out in spite of the security strip.

You're right, kids have different attitudes today, from the 70's (to say
nothing of the 60's when I started!) We've found several books which we
purchased to be used with our junior Engl. controversial issue essay
assignment purposely destroyed (pages torn out, etc.) -- these titles are
about drugs, so I don't know if there's a connection there or just plain
nasty kids, but I sure do get irritated (to put it mildly!)

Joyce Conklin                      email: jconkli@ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us
Hillsdale High School             72407.1422@compuserve.com
3115 Del Monte St.
San Mateo CA  94403-3819
(415) 574-7230 x.227 [0745-1500 hrs. Pacific time]

LM_NET Archive Home