I received mixed reviews concerning the usefulness of a vertical file
in an elementary setting.  Below are some of the comments I received:

* I am in an elementary school and have just resurrected the vertical file.
It had collected yellowed pages, etc. and I ignored it for awhile because
it wasn't a priority while we were automating, setting up a technology
plan, etc.  Last spring I dumped most of what was there except for local
history, etc. and started over.  I put in pullouts from magazines--those
posters that are already folded, -- misc. author information, all those
little pamphlets that collect, etc.  It has been very successful so far.
I put a "see also" line in the subject file of our online catalog --
"See also vertical file 599 tigers".  We assign a subject and dewey
number but do not barcode.  It is checked out as a temporary item in our
automation system.  For the little that we have there it has been used
regularly.  Our fourth graders do state research and send for material.
I'd like to include this type of info. there also but I'm not sure they
want to give it up.

* We keep a vertical file.  It is difficult to keep it up to date.  It
is used by teachers.  When culling information for the files I generally
look for teacher ideas and information about topics usually covered in the
classrooms.  Often information walks and is not returned for use by others.

* Our K-3 and 4-5 buildings do not use their vertical files very much --
mostly for authors.  I have thought about turning the ZooBooks periodicals
into vertical files, but haven't done anything about it.  I agree, vertical
files are not used much in early grades.

* At the first elementary I was in, there was no vertical file.  I was a
classroom teacher then and had my own files in the classroom that would
have been equivalent to a vertical file for the subject areas I taught.
Then for eight years I was an elementary LMS at a library where the
previous librarian had just begun a vertical file.  I found that the staff
and students there liked the idea and I added extensively (two additional
file cabinets) to it while I was there.  I concentrated on the subject
theme units done at every grade level and of course the states of the USA
and the nations of the world.  In addition I kept an turhot file which was
full of biographical infor., book reviews, book jackets, pamphlets,
pictures, etc. that I acquired from newspapers.

I had parent volunteers who clipped articles for me.  Every time someone
sent us more National Geographics which they "just couldn't throw out" but
which we already had two copies of, we cut them up & filed articles and
pictures in these theme topic folders int he vertical file.  Just like in
the high school, I encourage students to contribute their xerox copies and
brochures and pamphlets to the vertical file rather than the trash.

Both students and staff used materials.  I just kept an index card of who
had what.  Now I create a temporary record on a barcode and attach info on
the student or staff's library record to track materials.

I think it depends a lot upon what you feel comfortable with and whether
you have a lot of parent volunteers (I had two each morning and two each
afternoon at the elementary level so I had lots of help to do this and to
help with filing , processing, circulating and shelving.  They even did
bulletin boards for me if I gave them a sketch of what to do@!)  It also
depends upon how your faculty teaches.  Don't think you NEED to do anything
extra!

* I took over a poorly kept library last year and inherited an out of date
vertical file.  I must admit it's low ont he list of priorities.  I'd
eventually like to go through and update it, and am starting to keep some
materials that would be appropriate for it, but in 1 1/2 years no one has
requested any materials of this type.  Wonder if I should just trash it?

* We have a vertical file but it is used mainly (99.9%) for students who
are doing state or country reports.  We have had volunteers clipping
articles from various magazines and we do add to the file when materials
are given to us.  One drawer is full of other "interesting stuff", but on
one really has time to promote it!!

* I am at a K-4 school and here's what I've done about the vertical file:
This is my 10th year at this school.  For the first few years I pretty much
ignored it knowing that some day I'd get "aroundtoit."  The first thing I
actually did to update it was to write to the Dept. of Tourism of each
state and ask for brochures, maps, etc.  We got back lots of really great
stuff.  Since then I've made it a point to include information from
journals about children's authors and illustrators, biographical
information about famous Tennesseeans, and newspaper articles about various
items of local interest or subjects teachers have been known to need
information on that I didn't have elsewhere.  I would not say that the
vertical file is the most heavily used resource we have, but it has been a
lifesaver for many students.  I definitely don't want to get rid of it.  My
advice would be to make a plan of specific information you are wanting to
collect (based on local need) and just dive in!

I will have to post the rest of this hit tomorrow as a sick child calls
just now.

LM_NET Archive Home