I got many helpful responses on where to buy science materials.
Many thanks to those who sent me info, and for those who
requested a posting of my results, here's a summary:

Social Issues Resource Series: The SIRS Researcher
  (800) 232-SIRS
Magill's Survey of Science (available from EBSCO)
Franklin Watts/Chelsea House/Oxford University Press/
  Gale/Wiley
Science News Books (800) 544-4565
Book Reviews in Science News Magazine
Science Books & Films (subscription, not a jobber)
Inghram
Follett, Brodart, Baker & Taylor
Carolina Biological Supply Company (800) 334-5551
Facts on File, especially the "Elements" series
National Geographic
Delta Education (k-8, might have 9-12)  (800) 548-3472
Videodiscovery (800) 548-3472
Queue, Inc.  (800) 232-2224
World Almanac Catalog
Creative Learning Systems - TransTech catalog  (800) 458-2880
Franklin Watts

Eisenhower National Clearinghouse  (online searchable catalog)
  telnet enc.org.  login: guest
  gopher enc.org
  1-800-362-4448  VT100, 8n1, full duplex   limit 30 minutes if
  you dial up
  once connected press <enter>
  Reference Desk at ENC 614-292-9734
  e-mail library@enc.org
  General Information 614-292-7784
  e-mail info@enc.org

Finally, Susan Dahl (susan_dahl@qmgate.fnal.gov) has done
extensive research and will help with specific questions.

LM_NET Archive Home