Dear LM-Netters,
In working with 2 of our 2nd grade classes on a research project on
heroes, the subject of E-Mail came up.  We were able to locate some
biographical information on one of our subjects through LM_net (Thanks to
all those who responded).  Thanks to that I was able to interest the
teachers and students in pursuing this new technology further.  So here
is our plan.  We did a lesson last week on the post office and now we
want to compare "snail mail" and E-Mail.  On Thursday, January 26, we
would like to send a letter telling about our class and our hero project
to LM-Net.  We are hoping for many answers from all over and especially
from other elementary classes.  We will locate the places from which we
receive replies on the map.  However, in order to make our comparison, we
also need to know in advance about a few classes (2nd grade if possible)
who will reply so we can send a letter through the mail at the same time
we send the E-Mail message.  These classes would agree to record the time
and date they receive each of our messages, the E-Mail and the snail mail
and reply to each one.  We are hoping to get many E-Mail replies but
don't need and can't afford to do the snail mail part with more than a few.
Please reply to me early if you want to participate in both parts of this
project.  Otherwise I hope many of you will be able to round up one of
your classes to reply on or soon after Jan 26.  The messages should be
posted at approximately 9:45 and 10:20 A.M. central standard time.

To our more sophisticated and advanced members, I hope you will have
patience.  I know there are other listservs for this type of thing, but
I'm up to my eyeballs in preparation for our state evaluation and we are
just starting automation. If I subscribed to another listserv, I'd have
to drop this one, and I couldn't bear to do that.  Besides this is a
collaborative project with the media center.  They came up with the idea
to research heros, but they let me use the big six format for the
research instruction, and the E-mail idea is strictly mine.  We only have
one E-mail address and one modem connection for the whole school (like
many of you probably) and we have to start somewhere.
Paula Neale
mohmie@coop.crn.org
Ingels Elementary School
11600 Food Lane