     On January 22, Diane Chin wrote:

 "I was at the Ontario Library Association Superconference last weekend and
briefly had a chance to preview the Encyclopedia Britannica on CD-Rom full
text version for Ms-Dos machines. Has anyone purchased this?" . . . . . .
" I would like to know if anyone has used it since it obviously is an
expensive investment."
     I am also interested in this cd-rom product.  I looked at it briefly
last summer at ALA and it was all text-based at the time.  Also, the company
representative in the booth told me it did not have Boolean capability
because "we do not think high school students are capable of using that."  I
was appalled at such a statement and also put off by what appeared to be a
hugh RAM requirement for running the program.  I had been eagerly awaiting
the arrival of some of these more sophisticated encyclopedias on CD, so I was
very disappointed.  I would also like to hear from LM_NETters who have used
this product.
     It might be interesting to hear from those who have purchased the new
Americana on CD.  That was just coming out at ALA annual also.
Marjorie Pappas
Library Media Program Advisor
Wright State University
Dayton, OH  45435