     Thank you to all you LM_NETTERS who responded with great
suggestions.  Out of 50 responses, only nine said they were keeping
their shelflist after automating.  Only one person mentioned
missing the shelflist after it was gone.  The rest were adamant
about getting rid of the thing and putting valuable energy and time
into the maintenance of the data base instead.  Most spoke of their
original hesitation about dumping the shelflist and waiting a
period of time (1-3 years usually) before taking the giant step
toward the garbage can.
      Several folks did make the important point that complete Marc
records would certainly be in order before "doing in" the
shelflist.  Many people also reminded me how important it is to do
regular backups!  A couple of people said they also run a hard copy
of the collection at least once a year.
      So with a sense of impending freedom and an air of
celebration, I plan the gradual demise of my shelflist!

Bena Fancher
Lake Gibson High School
Lakeland, FL  33803
fancheb@mail.firn.edu