Newsgroups: schl.sig.lmnet
From: cjmacalp@llwcny.ll.pbs.org (Jean Macalpine)
Subject: use of laser disc players in elementary schools
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 20:35:31 GMT

I would like to hear from librarians who use or whose teachers use laser
disc players in their schools.  I have one Pioneer laser disc player, and
one set of discs; however only one teacher out of almost 50 uses it.  I gave
a short inservice on the use of this equipment, but had no takers.  They are
afraid of the time constraints in learning to use it, and in general prefer
to use videos.  We also have Linkway on our LAN, but have yet to offer
in-service on that.
        Like many schools right now, we have sort of been bombarded with
technology--computer networks, CD-ROMS, etc., and I think the teachers are
somewhat overwhelmed by it all.  If anyone has any suggestions how to
promote use of laser-disc technology; or if anyone has any comments on the
appropriateness for elementary schools of this equipment, I would like to
hear from you.  Let me know what programs you have purchased; whether your
teachers use it interactively with Linkway or Hypercard, or some other kind
of multi-media; who did the in-servicing of your teachers, the future of
this technology and anything else you can add that I might benefit from
hearing.  Thanks!
--

LM_NET Archive Home