Betty,

If your friend takes this job, she's nuts.  It's obvious that the school
won't spring for certified help if she'll do the job for minimum wage,
and it looks like they should be hiring at least a certified librarian
AND an aide.  As long as people do the job for nothing, they'll take
advantage of them.

Susan O'Neil   sjoneil@sinnfree.sinnfree.org

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, Betty Dawn Hamilton wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> I talked to a friend yesterday who applied for a library aide's job at a
> nearby school.  The school eliminated the position of librarian when
> money became tight a couple of years ago.  It's a small school, so the
> library aide will serve K-12, and a "supervising" librarian will come by
> "on occasion."  (Inference was that the supervising librarian wouldn't be
> there regularly or often)
>
> Following are their criteria for the AIDE's qualifications.  Comments?
>
> Job Description: Library Aide
>
> 1.   Computer literate (Apple Macintosh system). Able to connect
>      Tenet [internet] system for students and teachers.  Also,
>      computerize entire library system of checking resources in
>      and out
>
> 2.   Establish a computerized inventory system to log all library
>      resources
>
> 3.   Assist cafeteria personnel in supervision of students during
>      noon recess hour
>
> 4.   Help students and teachers in compiling research data, ie,
>      books, periodicals, Tenet system, etc.
>
> 5.   Superior knowledge of Dewey Decimal System in order to place
>      books properly as well as knowledge of card catalog system
>
> 6.   Identify books that are suitable to grade levels K-12
>
> 7.   Develop a schedule for grades K-12 for library visits and
>      check in and out times
>
> 8.   Implement a schedule for short story time for grade school
>      students.
>
> 9.   Exceptional organizational skills.
>
> Betty
> bhamilt@tenet.edu