The Britannica is available on CD-ROM and includes keyword searching using
"simple" language. Boolean operators are not needed. I have seen the CD-ROM
demonstrated and it is pretty nifty. Its contents are obviously more complete
than Groliers and very suitable for high school students.  Britannica also
makes this available on 2 CD-ROMs that can be loaded on to your file server
for direct access. This is called BIRS. It uses DOS and Windows. This may be
a problem for us as we are running Unison (DOS) on our Novell network and I
want to offer BIRS (Windows) on the same network with a menu for students to
choose between the two. Any suggestions?? Will this work?
Price note: We got our BIRS (or we could have chosen the CD-ROM stand alone)
for free when we purchased the 1994 edition of the print Britannica at
regular price. This offer expired on Dec. 31, 1994, I believe. It also
includes a free update when the 1995 CD-ROM comes out.
Patt Moser
Concord-Carlisle High School
Concord, Mass.

LM_NET Archive Home