I just came across a book on the Internet in libraries which I think would be
of interest to readers of this group because it contains both information on
Internet usage/tools and also library applications of the Internet.
 Importantly, the author is also a public library director who has integrated
the Internet into his own library's services.  I've already used it to learn
how to perform several functions.  In fact, it has a list of library
listservs like this one!

The new book, _The Complete Internet Companion for Librarians_, is written by
Allen C. Benson, defines software and hardware requirements needed for
Internet access (including a great discussion of modem connections), FTP,
telnet, e-mail, the World Wide Web, Archie, listservs, etc.

In addition to these topics covered in most other Internet books, this one
also contains a section on "Integrating the Internet into Traditional Library
Service" that is truly unique.  It looks at the librarian's role,
implementing in-house Internet services (using the Internet for acquisitons,
collection development, reference services, etc.).

The 405-page book (ISBN 1-55570-178-7) is $49.95 from Neal-Schuman
Publishers, 100 Varick Street, New York, NY 10013; 212-925-8650; fax:
800-584-2414.  If ordering directly, there's a $6.75 shipping/handling fee.

LM_NET Archive Home