Dear Fellow SLMS:
For those of you who had questions about my experiences with InfoTrac and
others who are thinking about an electronic guide to current periodicals,
here's a summary of some aspects of my experience:
1)I chose a 60-day free trial package of Super Tom+ InfoTrac, which
consisted of a searchable database on 2 CDs of citations, abstracts and
selected full-text articles from periodicals, reference books and a news
service, and the appropriate hardware, because
 a)I needed full text as I am in a one-person media center and have
nobody to help me keep a microfiche collection in order as is often
necessary with just a citation database. I do have to access back issues
of periodicals, but not that much. Many of the topics our 7-12 students
need and want info on are on the database in full text.
 b)I had worked with an InfoTrac database in a previous position and saw
first hand what  a stunning success it was; I saw complete computer
novices, in this case economically disadvantaged grownups, sit down
scared and dubious, and walk away proud, with instruction time, if any,
of under seven minutes.  IN many cases, they needed moral support more
than actual instruction. I thought this would translate well to a 7-12
rural school library setting where many of the students had no computer
background and almost none had any electronic searching skills.

2)This package exceeded my expectations.  Not only students, but
administrators, teachers, Board members and parents have all been
surprised and delighted with the information they could get by and for
themselves with very little instruction. The computer-shy, the
computer-phobic, those who thought they were too old, too old-fashioned
or too uncomfortable to sit down at a computer, walk away happy.

3)Headings, subheadings, see and see also references abound for most
topics. Highlighting a see reference will get you there if you press enter.

4)Other little things: yes, it's expensive; we're paying for the balance
of the year with grant money. The hardware reqs are minimal. You do get
to keep the old CDs if you want them.  You do use a lot of paper; it's
good to have a printer that writes small; nobody minds. Yes, it's
networkable.

5)Company reps are responsive and helpful. They try to work with you as
much as they can in terms of your needs and your budget. Their phone is
800-227-8431; address is Information Access Company/ 363 Lakeside Drive/
Foster City, CA 94404.

6)My phone is 315-289-5245; address St. Lawrence Central Schools/ Rt. 11,
Box 307/ Brasher Falls, NY 13613.

Good Luck.

LM_NET Archive Home