I must confess that I have tried to stay out of this whole discussion
because the book means so much to me and I did not want to trivalize my
feelings about the book.  I have read the book dozens of times and I
always choke up.  My grandmother and my mother, who are both deceased,
somehow always knew when their children were well and happy.  My uncle
was shot down while over VietNam and my grandmother *knew* long before
the Navy arrived at her front door.  Like the lady in the story she
always loved him and figuratively watched over him.  While this did not
keep him safe, it nonetheless was a true reflection of her love for him
and later for us.

The worst days of my life, those days when I questioned the worth of
going on, somehow these two ladies knew; the phone would ring and they
would be there with positive support and unconditional love.  They are
gone now but I know that they will always love me, and that is
enough.

Kay Talbott
ktalbott@nccu.edu
South Brunswick Middle School